Thursday, May 19, 2011

And I Feel Fine…

Happy Friday. Today I'm going a bit off topic, not that this blog has ever been terribly on topic. As the title suggests, I'm talking about the 'End of the World' which apparently is incredibly, poorly scheduled for tomorrow, May 20th.

If you aren't familiar with the story, a man named Harold Camping of Family Radio is predicting the end of world on May 20th, 2011. The story was picked up by Time Magazine, NPR, and other media outlets. What, was it a slow news day?

I'm sure he's got all his research, and Bible scripture to back up his prediction. Most people are dismissing him as just another Christian cook, which is probably for the best. It should also be noted that this isn't Mr. Camping's first attempt at predicting the date of the Rapture. He tried previously in 1994. People have been predicting the Rapture since the 1st century AD.

I will just come out and say that I'm a Bible believing, follower of Christ. I realize not everyone believes what I believe, and you might feel this admission may put me only a few rungs on the insanity lower than Mr. Camping.

What bothers me most about Mr. Camping's prediction is how it reflects on people who take the Bible seriously. This isn’t exactly a thoughtful presentation of the Gospel, and agnostics and atheists (as well as the late night comedians) are having a field day with it.

See I believe in an End Times, a Rapture, and the eventual return of Jesus Christ to this Earth. But I don't believe anyone will ever be able to predict when that event will happen. The Rapture going to surprise us all, and I personally think that it may not even be recognized when it happens.

I also know that it is pointless to try to predict it, and if I changed one thing about my life because I knew Christ was coming back tomorrow, it would declare that I wasn’t living my life as I should have been all along.

No comments: