Monday, September 5, 2011

Pulling a Lucas

I asked my wife to read my Unicorn story and give me some feedback. I am blessed to have a wife that loves to read and has an eye for spelling and grammatical errors. She asked if I needed her to edit it. I knew Steve would gets his mitts on it, so I told her just to read it and not worry about editing.

So she asked what kind of feedback I wanted. I told her to see how she liked the story, the characters and to see if I had pulled a Lucas.

Pulling a Lucas is an inside joke shared between us. It refers to a plot hole or inconsistency in the story and was inspired by George Lucas and the myriad of plot holes introduced in the ‘new’ Star Wars moves Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

Our favorite example has to do with Leia. In Return of the Jedi, Luke asks Leia to tell him about her mother, her real mother.

Leia says that her mother died when she was young, that she was beautiful, but sad. Then in Revenge of the Sith, we find out Leia’s mother, Padme, dies in childbirth. So when she says her mother died when she was young, she means really, really young.

Another example is when in Empire Strikes Back, Luke is told by a ghostly Obi-Wan Kenobi to go to the Dagobah system to continue his training. Obi-wan says, “there you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who trained me.” Then in Phantom Menace we learn that Qui-Gon trained Obi-wan, not Yoda. So what he should have said “there you will from Yoda, the Jedi Master who, well he didn’t train me, but we passed in the halls of the temple a couple of times. He’s a swell guy, you’ll like him!”

Hopefully, I’ve avoided pulling a Lucas in my Unicorn story.

No comments: